The story of Jack Henry*, interviewed and analyzed by ­­­­­­Henry Fielding




Jack Henry: Highwayman
I was born in a village near Bath to parents of low station. I receiv'd no education. My parents Arrang'd for me to become a servant in a household of distinction when I was 12 years Old. I did not mind this as I became a favourite servant of the House. My master allow'd me to dress in silk and treated me with great Favour. After an amount of time in this House, I began to desire more. I dress'd well above my station and desir'd to live in Luxury as my master did.
By chance, I happen'd upon a band of pickpockets at the Opera one night. They were dress'd in the manner of those around us but their Manner was coarse and I knew they were not like the others. They were a lively and loud band. I made their Acquaintance after I discover'd their Ruse. They were picking the pockets of the Ladies and Gentleman around them. After a short Discourse they heartily agreed to allow me into their band. Thus began my life of crime.
You find me here awaiting my death not because I picked the pockets of many men and women but because I robbed a coach carrying expensive Cloth. I shew'd the driver such mercy as he begg'd me to take anything but his life. The gentleman that I am grant'd his request. Hence you find me here for he went immediately to report me upon my setting him free.
I intend to die a Gentleman at Tyburn. Upon my request, the finest Clothes await me. My many admirers will follow my cart to the End. I have planned the most lively Celebration with only the finest food and drink. Though my heart be fill'd with the utmost grief of my demise, I will not shew it.

*Based on 18th century highwayman John "Sixteen String Jack" Rann.

Henry Fielding
 Here we have a criminal with the most Severe Motives to Luxury ("An Enquiry" 78). This case is more disturbing than that of Moll Flemings. This wretched man "dresses himself clean in order to mix with his betters" ("An Enquiry" 79). His refusal to Acknowledge his station is most Shameful. He goes beyond this refusal to act according to his station by announcing his planned Celebration. These highwaymen have become Accustomed to being celebrated and admired for their gentlemanly behavior. However, their resolve to live above their class is anything but Gentlemanly.

No comments:

Post a Comment