Jonathan Smith: Forgery
I will tell you my tale, though it does me no service now. I am to be hanged for my crime. I was born in a small village outside London. My parents are of Low station. I am their firstborn. My sisters Mary and Catherine are twelve and fourteen years Old. My mother titters on about how she must get them married to respectable Gentleman. I do not live with my family now. I left home to serve as apprentice to a counting-house. While in service at the counting-house, I discover'd that I could forge the signatures on banknotes. I attempted this scheme at several shops until I was caught at one wax shop in Old Bond-street.
The keeper there happen'd upon the indorsement on the note and ask'd me why I had Master Miller's name as indorser. In this unfortunate Turn of events, he knew the Mr. Miller and notic'd that the script did not match his. I was accused of forgery and taken to gaol.
I pleaded with the court to spare me, but to no End. Many of the townspeople took pity on me and made attempts to free me from this gaol. Alas, their attempts fell on deaf ears. It is with great regret that I tell you that I did not Foresee the consequences of my schemes. Now I am an Example to those who seek to commit the same crime.
*This narrative is loosely based on story of John Dyer, convicted of forgery and hanged in 1790.
Sir John Fielding
This young apprentice's story is most Unfortunate. Although my plan to preserve distressed boys includes only boys from eleven to fourteen years Old ( J.Fielding 5) I might also send this young man to sea for some Years. He expresses Considerable regret for having committed the crime. However, it is necessary to punish these sorts of crimes. It is hoped that he would Indeed be an example and the number of crimes committed be reduced.
No comments:
Post a Comment