The Story of Moll Flemings, interviewed and analyzed by 18th century writer and crime critic Henry Fielding



Moll Flemings: Prostitute
Sir, I will tell you my Story as best it can be told. I was born in 1690 to lowly parents in London, England. When I was nine years Old, my parents sent me away to be a maid in the M_____s' household. I cry'd when they sent me away, for I fear'd being in the company of strangers. My Mistress and others in the household treat'd me fine, that I am certain. I liv'd in their Keeping until the day I came under the Acquaintance of a certain Mother Beaucomp. I was fetching some food from market when a lady in bright dress approach'd me. She ask'd my name and whose household I serve. She introduc'd herself as Mother Beaucomp and ask'd if I would dine with her. I did oblige her Request and found myself at a table among many ladies of the same dress. They were dressed in such finery and ate the best meats. They explain'd to me that they were streetwalkers and earned their bread by performing "favours" for men. I thought how my hands were tire'd from working and I could live in Luxury as these ladies did. I desir'd their fine Clothes and jewels. I resolv'd then to leave my house of employ and become a prostitute. I was not but fourteen years Old.
*Based on the characters of Moll Flanders and Sally Salisbury/Sarah Pridden.
Fielding:
I have determined that this Woman was indeed motivated by Vanity and Voluptuousness (Fielding 78). Her desire to live in such Grandeur led her to neglect her employer. She desired to live as her Betters and to have the finest Clothes, all of which she could not accomplish in her lowly employ as maid. Her Love of Pleasure ("An Enquiry" 79), eating good meats and having fine things, motivated her to lead the life of a Prostitute. Her constant Labour as a maid made her weary and in want of the life of her Betters.
The law's handling of prostitution must improve so that the ladies are not Tempted. It is common knowledge that London society allows this Temptation because they fear that men will prey on respectable Ladies and their good Daughters if Prostitutes were not in Existence (McLynn 97-8). I might Propose that brothels be Allowed with restrictions (McLynn 97). The restrictions will Reduce the number of brothels so that vulgar men might not prey upon the respectable Ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment