The Story of Samuel Moore*, interviewed and analyzed by Michel Foucault

Samuel Moore: Bigamy

I was convict'd of bigamy for the Act of tricking three women into marriage, all without their Knowledge of my previous marriages. My first wife was a young girl by the name of Elizabeth. Elizabeth was a handsome girl with dark eyes and light brown hair, so her soft beauty made our matrimony Agreeable to me. I was but five and twenty years Old. My restless spirit commanded me to go away to sea and I did not see my wife for some Time. While on my travels elsewhere, I met a woman by the name of Molly. She had soft eyes, creamy skin, and an Agreeable little nose. My loneliness and Desire overtook me. I made my Addresses to her as a single man in want of a wife. She Agreed to my Addresses and we were married soon after. In the next year, I resolv'd to continue my travels. Along the way, I met yet another handsome woman. She readily accept'd my advances, for she was a Widow in search of another husband. We were married soon after.

I am to be transport'd for 7 Years for the crimes above mentioned. 

*Not based on a particular character, just proceedings from Old Bailey and other research. See works cited.

Michel Foucault 
This man has a history of committing bigamy during his travels. What makes the Law think they can prevent this by sending him away? I need not repeat myself about the power of observation. Observation of criminals aims to "strengthen the social forces...raise the level of morality" (Foucault 208). Transportation cannot do this. In fact, it is actually desired by criminals because it allows them escape from death.

No comments:

Post a Comment