William Rogers: Receiving Stolen Goods
I am the Great man responsible for the most Elaborate scheme of my Time. As I go to my death, I will tell you I refuse to leave this world quietly. Before I tell the tale of how I came to be in this filthy, stinking gaol, I shall tell you of my birth. I was born of Respectable parentage to one William Rogers and his wife Catherine Peachum. My parents determined I should have an education and became knowledgeable in many Subjects. I must note that I was an especially excellent scholar. Thus, I used my quick wit to employ my Schemes for which I am gaoled.
Now, the story of my demise. I had Carefully selected a band of men who carried out my various plans of Misdeed. These men were skilled in the Art of thievery. They traveled the countryside and the city of London stealing various items of Importance from their owners. Then I awaited the announcement of the lost articles in newspapers. In answer, I would announce the retrieval or "discovery" of the items. In this time, I gained the Confidence of many in London. This is the reason for which I was able to continue my scheme. Once my number of Enemies grew, my scheme could no longer continue. Quick-witted and ambitious men are not well-favoured. Those who Attempt to follow in my footsteps will need my knowledge and wit to Succeed. They will need to make an genuine effort to not come to same end as I.
*Loosely based on the story of Jonathan Wild, extortionist and receiver of stolen goods.
Henry Fielding
There are "Great" men and there are "Good" men (Jonathan Wild 7-9). Great men do not have the qualities of good men. Great men stop at nothing to attain Vanity and Voluptuousness. They do not quake at hurting those around them to achieve their Wants and Desires. Good men have the best Intentions, but are often taken advantage of. William Rogers, my readers, is not a "Good" man. He may hold the qualities of a great man, but his intentions were never "Good".
No comments:
Post a Comment